Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2016

Light Bracket for my Overhead Camera Rig

This was a quick project to allow me to mount my LED lights directly onto the posts of my overhead camera rig.

The LED lights came with a short tripod base, but by unscrewing the lamp module from the base I realized they could be mounted on my camera rig. I just needed a bracket that would allow me to adjust the angle and direction they pointed at.  This is the solution I came up with:


Carved from a scrap of red oak using my CNC.


The center hole is 1/4" diameter for a 1/4" bolt.


The side hole was drilled with a #7 drill bit and tapped for 1/4-20 threads.


Each post was drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 bolts.


Friction between the bracket and post keeps the light from rotating when the bolt is tight.


Angle of the light can be adjusted by loosening the knurled handle.


 I will seal these brackets with tung oil to prolong their lifespan, and slow down any tendency to expand or contract. For the moment they seem strong enough, but the drier the oak becomes the greater chance it may split under the load of the lamp.

4D




No comments: