Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2022

Cam Levers vs Twist Knobs

The longer I use a jig or a fixture, the more likely it is that I'll find a subtle flaw or a feature that could be improved.   The Angle Clamping Fixture I have on my CNC works fine, but is a little finicky to lock in place to set the angle. I used two twist knobs to tighten the fixture position.   They worked, but would occasionally bump the fixture angle as they rotated to get tight. 

My Compound Angle Clamping Fixture

When I made the Bridges I now use for spanning my CNC bed area I chose cam levers to lock down the ends quickly.  I am extremely happy with how quickly I can loosen, reposition, then tighten down the bridges using the cam levers. 

My Bed Bridges

It took me awhile to realize again the value of cam levers.  When a jig or fixture works OK it doesn't beg for small improvements.  An email add from the company I bought the cam lever for the Bridges from provoked me to wonder if anyone sold a size I could use with the existing 5/16-18 bolts on my clamping fixture. Apparently yes. 

Cam Levers at Amazon.com

When these cam levers arrived they included 5/16-18 T-bolts that were too long. The hex bolts I'd used were too short for the cam levers.  The fix required CNC cutting a pocket for the oval head of the t-bolts, and cutting down those bolts with a hacksaw.

Improved cam locking
What used to take several turns of twist knobs to unlock then relock this fixture now takes flipping two cam levers to loosen or tighten.  
Router Fence
The fence I have on my bench mounted router is another place where cam levers make adjusting it quicker and easier.  I had some cam levers on hand that would work with the 1/4-20 T-bolts.  The bolts were too long though and had to be cut shorter with a hacksaw.  
Cam Release
Cam levers are available in many sizes. As I revisit many of my shop fixtures/jigs/tool fences that use twist knobs it is apparent that cam levers would improve the simplicity of using them all.  As I look back on the furniture projects I've done over the last several decades I realize that cam levers have been the ideal solution many times.  One example was a chair design with an adjustable seat that would slide forward or back for the user. Back then was before there was an internet and I made my own cam lever from an aluminum block using a milling machine as well as a few other shop tools. 

4D

Comments and questions are welcomed and appreciated.

 

No comments: