Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Cam Lever Upgrade for my Wen Benchtop Drill Press

Every drill press I've encountered in my life has had the same knurled lever handle that you unscrew to release the table or screw in to lock the table to the post.  Like this one:


While two or three spins of that handle will do the job, there is a better solution out there that takes much less effort to loosen and tighten the table to the post with. 

I've already updated several of my jigs and fences to use cam levers rather then twist knobs.


I did a quick search on Amazon for an M10 Cam Lever and found this one: 


It took a week to arrive, but only a couple minutes to install on my drill press. 

M10 Cam Lever
The powder coated lever is comfortable to handle.  Lift it up to loosen the table.  Put it down to tighten as shown in the photo. There is close to 1/8" of movement of the post collar  gap to go from tight to loose with a simple lift of the cam lever. 

While I'm sure this cam lever was more expensive than the knurled handle that came with the drill, I'd love to see new drill presses come with cam levers.  A far easier to use option.  My Nova Voyager Drill Press was expensive enough that I'm sure such a simple upgrade could have been worked into the price.  A Cam Lever for my Nova is next on my list. 

4D

No comments: