Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 21, 2023

My TaigTool CNC Milling Machine. A new tool and new control software to learn.

When I was a college student I had access to a manual milling machine to cut and shape metal parts with.  My first design job after college was for a company that made residential furniture from metal and glass and occasionally plastic.  I learned several things most don't know about what can be done with metal while working there. 

On February 24th, 2023 I received a mini CNC controlled milling machine that I had ordered.  A tool to permit me to stretch my experience using a CNC to cut wood and plastics toward CNC cutting metals.  A tool to explore with to scratch my design curiosity.  A tool I can use to make more complex parts with metal than I could with that manual milling machine.  

CNC Mini Milling Machine 

Some assembly was required.  Bought from TaigTools.com, this mini milling machine arrived in three separate boxes.  The stepper motors needed to be mounted to each of three axes. The motor and spindle had to be mounted to the Z axis post.  The Z axis post had to be mounted to the X/Y table.  

Once assembled a new adventure began.  To run the CNC it came with Mach3 controller software.  I was able to install it and run the software, but couldn't get it to communicate with the CNC.

The refurbished PC I bought to run the CNC came with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit version.  As the 64 bit operating system doesn't support parallel ports Mach3 had no communication path to the CNC controller plugged into a parallel port I bought for that PC. 

It took more than a week, but eventually I received the UC100 USB to Parallel adapter that was recommended by the CNC company.  

Initially the adapter also failed to communicate with the CNC controller.  It took some research to find out why the new adapter still wouldn't.   A web clue suggested the PC needed .NET framework for everything to work.  The PC I bought to run the CNC mill apparently didn't have that installed.  Once I had it installed Mach3 did recognize the USB adapter and prompted me to select it from a list of other options. Once I selected it and turned on the CNC controller box I found that I finally did have control of the CNC mill. 

So now begins a new adventure for my retired soul. First task was to add the ability to have the spindle turn on when the job starts and off when it ends. An AC/DC control relay from IOTRELAY.COM along with an 8-pin plug and some 2-lead coated wire did the job.  

Spindle Relay
My next task was wiring up an emergency stop button to the CNC controller. Mounting the stop button where it would be quick to hit was important. I didn't want to make holes in the bench top so a way to clamp it to the edge of the bench was needed. 

Emergency Stop Button

The injection molded ends on the switch body had an angle on them and didn't sit flat on the table top.  I used my Probotix CNC to cut a mounting plate. It allowed for the angled ends and had a slot for the clamp I used to hold it to the bench top with.

Why an emergency stop button?  There have been several moments in the past when what was happening on my Probotix CNC took an unexpected turn. When a cut went awry having a button in reach to slap and stop the router and the movement of the CNC was extremely important.  As I get used to using this CNC milling machine I can loosen the clamp and move this E-Stop button to wherever it will be easiest to reach. 

The next update I am considering is to add limit switches the CNC mill. This should keep the machine from bumping into end stops during a cut which usually ruins the part being cut. That tale I'll reserve for another day. 

Questions and comments are welcome and appreciated.

4D

   

No comments: