Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Little Twister. A Simple, Quick, Accessory Table or Plant Stand.

Little Twisters I like to make when I have a few scraps left over from a larger project.  The lattice strips can be ripped from a narrow board.   The top can be any reasonable size and either a single wide board or glued up from narrow boards. This one is made from some teak scraps. 

Little Twister
To make the lattice strips I check for grain direction on the board I'll cut them from. Very straight grain is desirable.  I'll draw a straight line parallel to the grain near one edge of the board, then bandsaw down that line.  I'll then joint that edge before moving back to the bandsaw rip the 1/8" wide strips.   Rip one, then joint a new edge.  Repeat until I have 10 strips minimum, all with one smooth face.  The strips then get sent through my drum sander rough side up. Once smooth I trim them all to exactly the same length. 

Holes are drilled at my drill press.  I'll set up a back fence and a stop block to ensure all holes are centered and the same distance from the strip ends.

The arc at the top and bottom of the strips is sanded off at my disc sander. I have a little pin jig I can impale the strips on before spinning them against the sanding disc to round them off.  The edge of the top board is rounded to propagate the arc detail from the strip ends.  

I use stainless steel nuts and bolts to assemble the lattice cylinder.  Stainless steel wood screws attach it to the top. 

Comments and questions welcomed!

4D

No comments: