Search This Blog

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Elliptable. A Table Composed of Ellipses.

Ellipses are simple to draw using most CAD software.  They are also fairly simple to cut out using a CNC.  I designed and made this table before I had a CNC I could use though. It evolved from an idea I had to invert a simple ellipse drawing jig.  To test the jig out I used it to swing the wood panels through a router bit on my router table in elliptical paths. Every ellipse in the design was cut with the same jig.   The legs have a slight rounded edge that echos the ellipse shape of the top above. 

Cherry hardwood


















The top came from the center.













The legs join together with dovetails. This design is a good example of detail continuity.

An Ellipse Drawing Jig

Comments welcomed and appreciated.

4D

No comments: